Sunday 17 May 2009

SUNDAY AT LAST....




Today being Sunday is probably my favourite day of the week.A traditional Sunday roast is hard to beat in my opinion.
So nothing changes there as today it's Roast Pork with all the trimmings.
I'll save you the bother of looking at a photo because they're all pretty much the same to look at.
Today however I'm attempting something that I have fond childhood memories of...
LARDY CAKES.
I'm using this recipe which I got from the Independent on line:-
Lardy cake
650g strong white-bread flour
2tsp salt
1tsp caster sugar, plus more to sprinkle
7g sachet of easy-bake yeast
400ml warm water
200g lard, softened
50g butter, softened
200g mixed dried fruit
75g mixed peel
200g granulated sugar
In a warm mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Add the warm water and mix to a soft dough. Knead the dough by stretching and folding it for about 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
Mix the lard, butter, fruit, peel and granulated sugar together and divide into three parts. On a lightly floured table, roll out the bread dough into a rectangular shape roughly three times as long as it is wide and spread two-thirds of its length with one batch (a third) of the lard mixture, then fold both long ends of the dough into the centre and firmly press the edges with your fingers or the rolling pin. Repeat this process twice more, using up the lard mixture. Put the dough into a shallow roasting or baking tin with enough room for it to rise again. Leave to prove again in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 190ºC (fan-oven 170ºC)/375ºF (fan-assisted 340ºF)/ gas mark 5. Bake the lardy cake for about 45 minutes. Turn it out upside-down on to another tray or large dish and leave to cool a little. Sprinkle the cake generously with caster sugar. The lardy cake is best served warm, cut into generous squares, just as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 42 and married to Tracey with a gorgeous 23 month old son called Leo who's named after my late Father.I have two great daughters from a previous marriage called Laurenne who's 14 and Danielle who's 13 and they live with their mum in Scunthorpe which is 160 miles away.I don't see the girls as often as I'd like but that's down to financial restraints as much as anything.