Friday 8 May 2009

IRISH SODA BREAD.

Well today I was looking for something to cook/bake that I haven't tried before.
Irish Soda Bread seemed like a good idea but then whilst making it I suddenly thought...............

'How am I going to know if it's any good as I've never even tasted it before?'

The recipe I used is a James Martin Recipe from the BBC Food Website.

Again whilst making it I hit another problem.I had no buttermilk and no assess to any so it was time to improvise and make a substitute.

I used instead of buttermilk I used 1/2 pint of milk with the juice of half a lemon in it and left it for 20 minutes.

The recipe is as follows with the substitute added:

Ingredients
170g/6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
170g/6oz plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
290ml/½ pint buttermilk


Method
1.Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6.
2. Tip the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir.
3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly with a large fork to form a soft dough. (Depending upon the absorbency of the flour, you may need to add a little milk if the dough seems too stiff but it should not be too wet or sticky.)
4.Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
5. Form into a round and flatten the dough slightly before placing on a lightly floured baking sheet.
6. Cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.


and I've put 3 pictures on here so you can see how it turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 42 and married to Tracey with a gorgeous 23 month old son called Leo who's named after my late Father.I have two great daughters from a previous marriage called Laurenne who's 14 and Danielle who's 13 and they live with their mum in Scunthorpe which is 160 miles away.I don't see the girls as often as I'd like but that's down to financial restraints as much as anything.