Tuesday 5 May 2009

PREZZO IN GLOUCESTER+CANTERBURY

First of all please forgive me for any spelling errors as I’m taking things straight from the menu and I don’t read Italian. laugh
The reason I decided to write this review is because recently I’ve been fortunate enough to try 2 of this chains restaurants.
One in Canterbury, Kent last week and one in Gloucester last night.

There are a few things that stand out with these two venues and that seems to me to be ‘class’.

Let me explain.
The Prezzo in Kent is positioned in the town centre as is the Gloucester restaurant. Both look really nice from outside and as you’d expect from a chain, very similar in appearance.
When entering we were greeted by very friendly staff who were obviously not English but not necessarily Italian either. We had baby Leo with us and he was enjoying the attention. We were seated at a lovely table and the first thing I noticed was that in Canterbury the table cloths and napkins were crisp white linen and yet here they were disposable paper flats. Thrifty management in Gloucester perhaps.

After perusing the menu for 5 minutes or so we were approached by a lovely young lady who took our drinks order. At this point I’d like to apologise to all the wine connoisseurs out there. I was driving so I didn’t even look at the options but I did have a single glass off house red which was lovely.
Tracey had a vodka and lemonade and we had a bottle of still water each.

The waitress returned in a few minutes and asked if we were ready to order. We were so we did.
In Canterbury I had Garlic Pizza bread as a starter we were able to share as it was quite big. Here we decided to go for a Mozzarella Garlic Bread but were surprised to find it was quite small yet delicious so we promptly ordered another.
For the main courses Tracey ordered the MEZZALUNA RICOTTA E SPINACI-Half moon pasta filled with spinach and ricotta in a rich tomato sauce and I ordered the SPAGHETTI CON MAZZANCOLLE-Crayfish tails, petit pois and garlic in a light cream and saffron sauce.
To see the look on Tracey’s face as this bowl of steaming pasta was placed in front of her was a picture. She whispered to me ‘how am I going to eat all that? ‘Then the waitress returned with a huge chunk of parmesan and a small grater and offered us it as a topping to which we both said yes please. Tracey said she thought the waitress would never stop grating, to which I replied you should’ve said ‘that’s enough thank you’. She managed to eat 80% of it and then declared she was stuffed.
Followed by ‘sorry, Im full up’ -‘I’m a lady!’

She declared it was beautiful especially the tomato sauce stating it was a lot better than ketchup. Lady indeed!

My bowl was of a similar size and delicious but seemed incredibly small compared to the bowl of steamed mussels that arrived on the next table. I was slightly miffed as I didn’t even see them on the menu. The cream and saffron sauce was sublime It was the first time I’d tried crayfish tails and I have to say I was slightly disappointed as I couldn’t have distinguished them from prawns in texture and flavour.
Both of us sat there grinning at each other stating how pleasant it was

Then followed the dessert menu which we both had to decline as we were nicely rounded.
We did both finish with coffees. Trace had a latte and I had a double espresso.

We asked for the bill which came to £37.60 which I thought was very reasonable and I left a tip and a huge thank you from us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 42 and married to Tracey with a gorgeous 23 month old son called Leo who's named after my late Father.I have two great daughters from a previous marriage called Laurenne who's 14 and Danielle who's 13 and they live with their mum in Scunthorpe which is 160 miles away.I don't see the girls as often as I'd like but that's down to financial restraints as much as anything.