Friday 22 May 2009

A DAY OF REST...not likely




I had a dreadful night's sleep last night and eventually got up just after 9.00am.
The plan was to check e-mails as we're still looking for somewhere else to live.

The phone rings and it's a wrong number.

I get an e-mail from my wife Tracey reminding me that I said I would make something a bit healthier that she could eat.Funnily enough The Lardy Cakes and sticky chicken aren't acceptable to my vegetarian wife.

With her thoughts in mind I decided on Simon Rimmers Bakewell Tart using this recipe which can be found on the BBC Food website.I'll post 3 photo's.One still in the tin which was a challenge on it's own cos i didn't have the correct tin.The second out of the tin and the third iced.

Ingredients
For the pastry
300g/10½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
125g/4½oz unsalted butter
30g/1oz sugar
1 free-range egg, plus 1 extra, beaten, to glaze
2 tbsp milk, to bind (if needed)
For the filling
225g/8oz butter, softened
225g/8oz sugar
225g/8oz ground almonds
3 free-range eggs
1 lemon, finely grated zest only
50g/2oz plain flour
jar cherry jam
flaked almonds, for sprinkling

Method
1. For the pastry, place the flour, butter, sugar and egg into a food processor and pulse to combine. If necessary, add a little milk to help bring the mixture together.
2. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll out until large enough to line a 26cm/10in tart tin. Carefully lift into the tin, then place into the fridge to chill for an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
4. Fill the tart case with a sheet of greaseproof paper weighed down with baking beans or rice. Bake the tart case blind in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove the paper and beans and brush the pastry all over with beaten egg. Return to the oven for a further five minutes, until golden-brown. Remove from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
6. For the filling, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
7. Mix in the ground almonds, then crack in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition - don't worry if the mixture begins to split, just add a little of the flour.
8. Fold in the lemon zest and the flour.
9. Spread some of the jam generously across the base of the pastry, leaving a 2.5cm/1in gap around the edge.
10. Spread the filling mixture over the jam and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
11. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until set and golden-brown. Allow to cool in the tin before serving in slices.

My wife decided she'd like it Iced like the small ones you can get but I think it looks so good without it I'll take two photo's so you can decide.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish, bakewell tart is one of my favourite puds

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 42 and married to Tracey with a gorgeous 23 month old son called Leo who's named after my late Father.I have two great daughters from a previous marriage called Laurenne who's 14 and Danielle who's 13 and they live with their mum in Scunthorpe which is 160 miles away.I don't see the girls as often as I'd like but that's down to financial restraints as much as anything.