Monday 1 June 2009

...SOMETHING DIFFERENT....



I managed to keep out of the kitchen for most of the day which would've pleased my wife.
Every time she comes in through the front door from work she's worried what will be the next thing to add inches to her perfect waistline.

I managed ok til around 3.20pm when I was overtaken by the urge to cook something.
I knew it was imminent as I had to put a meal together for my wife ,son and myself.

I decided on a shop bought steak and kidney pie with some mashed potatoes and minted French beans.

My wife walked in through the front door at 4.22p.m which is over an hour early.
She shouts through to the kitchen.."Oh god,now what?"

In she came to find me cutting out and placing fruit scones onto two baking sheets.


The recipe I used is quite a straightforward one.

8oz/225g Plain Flour
1½ Teaspoons of Bicarbonate of Soda
2oz/50g Butter
1 oz/25g Sugar
2oz/50g Sultanas
Approximately 2-3 Fl oz milk .

1) Sift together the flour and bicarb together into a bowl.
2) Cut the butter up into small cubes and add to the flour and rub in with your fingertips.
3) When it's fully incorporated slowly add enough milk to allow the dough to come together to form a ball.
4) On a floured surface roll out to about ½ inch thick(1½cm).
5) Cut into fluted rounds and place onto a baking sheet.
6) Brush with milk or beaten egg and bake in a fairly hot oven for 15 minutes or until light brown in colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm 42 and married to Tracey with a gorgeous 23 month old son called Leo who's named after my late Father.I have two great daughters from a previous marriage called Laurenne who's 14 and Danielle who's 13 and they live with their mum in Scunthorpe which is 160 miles away.I don't see the girls as often as I'd like but that's down to financial restraints as much as anything.